Jacksons to close next year

Published: 3 Oct 2012 17:4520 comments

SHOCKED staff at Jackson's department store in Reading were tonight handed a memo from bosses confirming that the historic shop is to close.

Managing director Brian Carter, great grandson of the store's founder Edward Jackson, also spoke to The Chronicle about his sadness over the decision.

Mr Carter blamed the spiraling maintenance cost of the 137-year-old building and said he would shut up shop by the end of next year.

Full story in tomorrow's Chronicle.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.

• hb68
    Oct 3, 18:24

Oh, that is so sad. Talk about a local landmark.

I hope no numpty decides to knock it down - it needs to be preserved.

I hope we continue to call the area "Jackson's Corner" - although I don't suppose it'll be forgotten, seeing as most people still call the Broad Street Mall The Butts.

Old habits die hard...

Recommend?   Yes 34     No 4

• Shylock Manly
    Oct 3, 18:36

Bloody hell. I understand the difficulty in trying to trade in an environment where chain stores monopolise sales by offering cheaper goods or deals, but this still comes as a shock. All the best to those behind this great Reading institution.

Recommend?   Yes 27     No 4

• MollyMay
    Oct 3, 22:25

That is so sad! Yes, it must be difficult trying to compete - but instead of this ''institution'' we'll just get another faceless modern officeblock or mullti-branch retailer - who don't know the meaning of 'customer service' - and/or more coffee shops :) all with 'plastic' shopfronts - and yet another case of having to look up to see the old building which is what Reading town centre is all about. :(

They probably ought to be congratulated for 'hanging on' for so long. Hey Ho! (big sigh!)

Recommend?   Yes 27     No 4

• JacksonsCornhole
    Oct 4, 01:07

How is this a surprise to anyone? This shop was hilarious. Nobody in their right mind would purchase and wear the clothes from in there which is probably why their customer base was exclusively senile old pensioners - which explains their dwindling sales, as each of them pops their clogs.

Recommend?   Yes 28     No 62

• Babs
    Oct 4, 09:19

No! It should be preserved as a living heritage centre for generations to come. Otherwise our children's children will never know the joys of yarn, pneumatic tills, old style shop attendants and A WHOLE DEPARTMENT DEVOTED TO HATS (proper ones not frivolous wedding ones).

Recommend?   Yes 31     No 4

• Two Penneth
    Oct 4, 09:23

I agree it is always sad when a local institution and landmark is to close but I'm not shocked. I don't really understand how anyone is shocked. How many of us have actually visited and spent money in the store recently?

It's all well and good complaining about chain brands and so on but there must be a reason why such brands keep coming to Reading. That's because a sufficient enough number of us shop in them regularly enough for them to make a profit.

As with all local independent businesses, it really is a case of use it or lose it. So instead of complaining about the news before setting off to stock up on cheap goods from another one of the chain brands, have a think. What local, independent businesses are near you? Which ones could you potentially shop with to show your support?

Obviously there is also the consideration that business owners need to do their bit to stay with the times and keep in touch with customer needs and what they can afford. As a previous commenter put rather less diplomatically, the store probably could have done a little more to stay with the times. However, if we as local consumers want local, independent businesses to stay open, we also have to do our bit. That starts with actually setting foot in the door of local, independent businesses and seeing what they have to offer.

Recommend?   Yes 41     No 5

• Oldster.
    Oct 4, 13:47

I agree with the comments posted,I haven't been in the shop since getting my childrens school uniform but how sad it is that a shop with old values has to go.

Recommend?   Yes 17     No 3

• This comment has been removed by our moderation team because it didn't meet our community guidelines.

• notsenile
    Oct 4, 19:23

I shop there regulary for yarn, haberdashery and school/guide uniforms.

It is very hard to buy ribbon by the yard now- Heelas, sorry John Lewis have stopped this.

And i am not a senile pensioner about to pop my clogs!

Recommend?   Yes 25     No 4

• grumpytilehurstwoman
    Oct 4, 19:54

Something we expect to be there, but we don't use it, a bit like Woolworths, fond memories but just not what people want anymore.

Excellent customer service, bit they just didn't love with the times stock wise.

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 10

• milo63
    Oct 5, 14:32

shame, one of the best places in Reading to get school uniforms, i went in there recently to get stuff for my daughter,there was some good quality gear in there and not stuff the oldes would buy!

Recommend?   Yes 9     No 4

• StevenBrodieFilm
    Oct 5, 14:49

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 4

• Thingy
    Oct 7, 23:14

The shop is a real treasure - hand written receipts, a proper school uniform section and assistants of a certainty maturity. I went there to buy nighties for my elderly mother given we couldn't get the required articles in John Lewis. I would recommend anyone with an interest in Reading shops goes there to sample the atmosphere before it closes. End of a. era !

Recommend?   Yes 11     No 3

• Felicity Ford
    Oct 8, 14:59

I do agree that using the shop is the way to keep it, and to this end I buy all my hankies, knickers and tights in Jacksons (it's the only place where you can pick out individual hankies). I have bought yarn in Jacksons in the past, too, and it was very good quality stuff.

The shop has wonderful, high-quality goods such as Harris Tweed suits for men which you can't buy anywhere else in Reading, and there is a fantastic community ethos to the shop, in the way that they interact with local arts organisations like Jelly and the Outcast Knitters.

I don't agree that the stuff is all out of date. Hankies, yarn and pants are timeless, and I will not know where to get these items once Jacksons - historic treasure trove that it is - closes down.

Boo.

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 2

• middleaged-just
    Oct 9, 21:05

The era of purchasing school uniform has passed but for individual white hankies for my Mum & wool (with plenty of advice) there is nowhere else.Also whilst in the store you may be pleasantly surprised by other things.USE IT OR LOSE IT.

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 2

• Shylock Manly
    Oct 11, 15:30

Good riddance.

Recommend?   Yes 5     No 9

• Footprof
    Oct 13, 14:04

Useful shoe dept for recommendation by chiropodists & podiatrists .

Recommend?   Yes 5     No 2

• Olly
    Oct 15, 17:10

Thank goodness. Would have been a better store if it got refurbished and got slightly younger staff. Not being offensive to the older people that work there but it's a little bit offputting when you buy school uniform there only to be greeted by everything made out of wood and a grandma serving you...

Recommend?   Yes 2     No 5

• Readinggal
    Jan 23, 17:41

No it doesn't come as a huge surprise, but it's still sad to see one of the last 'real' Reading institutions come to an end. My mother died 18 months ago - she was born and bred in Reading (over 90 years of age) - and I was able to buy some really decent clothes for her in Jacksons - ones that were excellent quality that she didn't feel uncomfortable wearing. I also bought haberdashery items that I needed at the same time. It's not just an old people's shop and I take exception to the comments made about senility - obviously the comments were made by someone who doesn't go into the shop at all and knows nothing about it. However, I do admit that it might have done with a bit of updating now and again, although somehow going into Jacksons is like stepping back in time - that's the charm of the place. The staff are always so helpful and know the meaning of customer service. It will be a very sad day when Jacksons closes.

Recommend?   Yes 3     No 0

• Alibertieyluv
    May 29, 20:18

Plenty of readies in and around Reading. To let this "institution" die without a wink to its future heritage value must be missing a trick. Invest, UPDATE,...... think!... Invest in the establishment's retail pricelessness. Think!, future decades success potential. Someone think again NOW.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0

• Brian Goodey
    Jun 30, 02:23

Sad to know Jackson's will be closing. I've purchased many items from this store during my time living in Reading in the 40's, '50's and 60's. Brian Goodey, Sydney Australia.

Recommend?   Yes 0     No 0