Ousted councillor to stand as independent

Published: 4 Apr 2012 06:0024 comments

OUSTED councillor Jamie Chowdhary will fight his Peppard seat next month after all - as an independent.

Cllr Chowdhary, who was elected to Reading Borough Council in 2008 but de-selected by the Conservatives for next month's elections, dramatically quit the Tory Party last week.

He stunned the year's final borough council meeting and also announced plans to sue key members of the Reading East Conservative Association, who he claimed made false allegations to the police in a bid to discredit him.

This week he said it has been a "privilege and pleasure" to serve the people of Peppard and he has decided to contest the seat as an independent after receiving "so much support and encouragement" from residents of all political persuasions.

Cllr Chowdhary, who is battling cancer, said: "Despite the corrosive internal politics currently within the Reading East Conservatives, I have always held strong Conservative values and will continue to do so whilst fighting for the right to continue to represent the residents of Peppard ward.

"I know that the Reading East Conservatives will fancy their chances of holding Peppard ward, but I am prepared for the fight.

"I am asking for people who would normally vote Conservative to recognise the injustice that has been done and make a stand against the Reading East Conservative Party who treated me so badly and put my young family through hell."

He has received the backing of Marie Rogers, former chairman of Conservative Peppard Branch Committee, and its former secretary, Trish Flinn, who both resigned following his deselection.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.

• This comment has been removed by our moderation team because it didn't meet our community guidelines.

• HiHoSpeaks
    8 posts
    Apr 4, 09:01

I have to say Jamie that this is a mistake. You are not well and what is it going to prove win or lose. You should have stepped aside with grace. You've missed a trick - sometimes less is more as they say

Recommend?   Yes 124     No 210

• G O D
    Apr 4, 10:03

"Cllr Chowdhary, who is battling cancer...".

And a career in politics will help? Step down that man, have some common sense.

Recommend?   Yes 114     No 204

• Colin Cheeslog
    Apr 4, 10:33

Only Jamie can decide if he's fit enough - maybe beating the RECA candidate will give him a boost?

Good luck Jamie!

Recommend?   Yes 208     No 111

• HiHoSpeaks
    8 posts
    Apr 4, 10:43

I'd like it known that I support Jamie - I just feel that he should move on and not waste his time giving the Tories a bloody nose (not that they don't deserve it). I think the damage to them is done he needs to focus on his health, family and business.

But now that he is running - lets see if he wins or even gets more votes than the official Tory candidate

Recommend?   Yes 217     No 101

• Murray Minted
    Apr 4, 14:18

As Labour and their supporters found out the hard way; this kind of PR stunt worked wonders for George Galloway.

Recommend?   Yes 152     No 4

• MuggerDishYou
    Apr 4, 15:57

YES!! Game on ........

This is the way to teach the resurgent nasty elements of the Conservative Party how not to treat their loyal and hard working councillors. It will serve them righht if this chap wins the seat off them.

Recommend?   Yes 188     No 94

• Freaky
    Apr 4, 16:25

The problem with this move is who does he actually appeal to now? Labour followers will inevitably vote Labour, the Tory voter is unlikely to switch either. Unless he can target a minority (like the above mentioned Galloway manoeuvre) it's a total non-starter. And lets face it he hasn't got a chance in Hell of the Reading LGBT community supporting him...

Recommend?   Yes 96     No 181

• Down_the_bookies
    Apr 4, 16:50

Woweee!! So it begins....

The the nasty group within the tories are about to be taught a serious lesson by one of the nicest chaps I've had to deal with and it couldn't come soon enough after the way they have treated this poor man. Serves 'em right.

I hate elections and I don't believe politicians do a lot, but this is one election I am really going to watch closesly to see if this chowdry chap can defeat the evil junta within his own party. I can't wait for the result, I wonder if the bookies are taking bets - anyone??

Recommend?   Yes 183     No 72

• Loving_it
    Apr 4, 17:06

You can see all the disguised tories with their negative comments, can't you?

I'm afraid your lot are going to do better than posting nonsense on blogs to get out of this hole that lot have dug themselves! As the man says, I don't fancy the tory chances on election day either!

This is better than the soaps, very intriguing!

Recommend?   Yes 179     No 71

• Mama Duke
    Apr 4, 17:25

And I thought the Tories were making a total mess NATIONALLY (Fuel fiasco, Granny tax and Jerry cans) but this local revelation is even more interesting. Looks like the Cons are going to out of office for a long time!

Recommend?   Yes 176     No 72

• Game On
    Apr 4, 17:30

ALL BETS ON!!! Mr Chowdhary you have our support all the way and you damn right deserve it!!!

It's about time someone stood up to this nasty group within the Tories, who do no work what so ever as so called councillors and they have the cheek to judge or critise others, don't you realise your giving the whole party a bad name, you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! Your suppose to be working as a team, have you forgotten you are all on the same side. What a joke!! If you can't work together as a team, what hope do we members of the public have, no faith at all.

Mr Chowdhary is a damn hard worker, who has demonstrated that he is worthy as a councillor, even when he had cancer, he went out to help local residents AND this is what he should be assessed on, NOT on the grounds that he is Asian/coloured. How can the party allow this kind of behaviour, it's called bullying and I personally think there was a lot of racism involved, I am sure a majority of Reading have the same view.

I WAS a Torie support, but after the way Mr Chowdhary has been treated, it disgust me and I feel ashamed to even say I have anything to do with such a party, let a lone vote for such a racist and unorganised party, who are not even capable of working together, what hope has our country got with such a party in charge, what a mistake we the members of the public have made, voting the Tories into power.

Mr Chowdhary, count my vote in, you as a councillor at a local level have gone out of your way on many occasions, even when you were suffering from cancer to help people in the local area and I rather have someone like you as a councillor then one of these useless councillors, who have no idea how to wipe their OWN ASS let alone support and help the local public.

If he doesn't stand up to them today, maybe tomorrow it might be you or me, who has to go through the same abuse.

I wish Mr Chowdhary all the best in the coming elections and in his good health.

Recommend?   Yes 181     No 74

• Bushes Bernal
    Apr 4, 17:43

I'm voting UKIP.

Recommend?   Yes 67     No 10

• Kate
    Apr 4, 20:09

What this move will allow is Jamie to focus on serving the needs of his residents - rather than having to invest a great deal of time and energy dealing with the nastiness of his former party. It will be rather nice to have an independent - who is not affiliated to any party - solely focused on his ward and the people he serves. Something he has done ably in the past and (I hope) he will continue to do in the future.

Good luck Jamie - there are plenty of people rooting for you.

Recommend?   Yes 160     No 53

• Jason
    Apr 4, 22:38

Will Jamie be suing anyone that doesn't vote for him?

Somebody who turns to suing for not winning a democratic vote will never get my vote. But as he lives in Wokingham he would struggle to get my vote anyway.

Recommend?   Yes 57     No 151

• Back-the-under-Dog
    Apr 4, 23:04

JASON!

Poor old Reading East Tory Junta supporters can only gripe with stupidity since they have very little else to counter with after having done everything possible to undermine this hard working Councillor.

It will be great to see your little mates in court when the whole sorry tale comes out, maybe you Jason will be one the ones in the list being sued, who knows, eh?

It's also funny how for the last 4 years it didn't matter where this man lived but now that he is exposing the nasty side of your party you want to highlight his place of abode? Not very clever are you and your mates? Had the junta been clever, they wouldn't have had such terrible publicity for the past several months over this sad saga for which I hold the Reading East Conservative Junta totally responsible!

Recommend?   Yes 93     No 53

• Mama Duke
    Apr 5, 11:16

How Interesting! In the absence of any defense to their stupidity, having treated this man so appallingly, one of the Junta puppets has been constantly clicking and promoting all the negative messages to skew the picture of actual public opinion! But then most of the useless members of Reading East Conservatives seem to think that writing pointless blogs will suffice instead of doing any useful councillor work!

I'm gald you're going to Kick their BUTT J.C., they thoroughly deserve a good kicking!!

Recommend?   Yes 136     No 4

• HiHoSpeaks
    8 posts
    Apr 5, 11:40

Let's not be fooled in any way about Jamie - he is and was a Tory. He over played his hand and it got bitten off. He was not averse to conducting himself in the same way when he was in with them. Decent people feel sorry for him (rightfully so) by the way he was treated but don't think that he is innocent - vulnerable yes !!

And you also have to note that he DOES live in Wokingham (as far as I know :-) )

Recommend?   Yes 7     No 138

• Tahir
    20 posts
    Apr 5, 14:11

Good Luck Jamie

Recommend?   Yes 113     No 5

• S C A R
    Apr 6, 15:13

Jamie is no better than any other rat deserting a sinking ship; he is playing the sympathy card whilst he can I guess. At the end of the end of Tory rat or Labour rat there is no real difference. Same stink, just a different wrapper. They've all sold us down the river to a Orwellian politically correct state where the only winners appear to be criminals, terrorists and politicians. I personally refuse to stomach the stink anymore; what about you?

Recommend?   Yes 6     No 48

• FACT
    Apr 6, 16:26

Can you represent anyone from a hospital ward though? You'd think he would think of his family at times like this rather than his own ego. Says it all really.

Recommend?   Yes 4     No 51

• Kate
    Apr 6, 17:03

I don't believe its ego driving him, its values. Something sorely missing in RECA.

Recommend?   Yes 51     No 3

• Back-the-under-Dog
    Apr 6, 23:40

This man has my vote.

There are some nasty individuals in the Reading Tory party who have managed to hide away under the guise of 'democracy' and need to be exposed. I'm really glad to see someone standing up to them.

Fun to watch the crumbling of the Rob Wilson (and buddies) empire!

Recommend?   Yes 38     No 2

• Musical Cheers
    Apr 7, 20:59

I wouldn't mind betting poor old Rob Wilson and his evil henchmen, the Swaddle's, Willis and Ballsdon) must be thinking oh my God, how did we get into this awful mess. With the national government not doing too well and here in Reading their popularity at an all time low, they must be absolutely petrified and what I'm hearing on the street is that the voters are not happy with the local tories especially following the treatment of two of their hardest working councillors, Chowdary and Ralph.

Looks like Mr Wilson's tenure is about to come to an abrupt end. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap! Close the door on the way out Mr Wildon and take the swaddles, Willis and Ballsdon with you.

Recommend?   Yes 29     No 2

• God is Watching
    Apr 7, 22:31

They tried to ROB Jamie but ended up being ROBbed themselves, could happen to a nicer bunch! Thank God Evil never prospers!

Recommend?   Yes 25     No 2