Overheated mobile phone sparks kitchen fire

Published: 13 Apr 2012 09:300 comments

FIREFIGHTERS are warning people to take care when charging electrical items after a mobile phone overheated and sparked a house fire in the early hours.

A middle-aged woman and her three teenage children awoke at 2.30am yesterday (Thursday) to find smoke billowing from the kitchen of their semi-detached council home in Axebridge Road, Whitley when the device caught fire and the flames spread to a plastic bag.

Crews from Wokingham Road and Whitley Wood Station arrived within minutes to put out the blaze - which caused 10% damage to the room.

Whitley Wood watch manager Rob Crook reminded people to switch off unwanted electrical items before going to bed.

Jump to first paragraph.


Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.